Rocks Website Project ideas
Following the example provided by John F. Pattie Elementary, we will start a project to design a website about Rocks and fossils. We will try to answer some of the following questions and design a site around the work we produce.
- Design a survey of ways people use soil, sand, and rocks. Survey family or family friends. Graph the ways to show the frequency of each usage. Publish to the website.
- Use clay, shells, leaves, and twigs to investigate how fossils form. Identify and write about different types of fossils, imprints, molds and casts.
- Collect and label 6-10 rocks. Arrange in a display to share with the class. Photograph the collection. Write descriptions of the characteristics and origin of each rock, as far as you can tell.
- Determine how the minerals of the ocean may be divided fairly among the countries of the world. Write a two-minute speech to justify your plans. Record the speech.
- Research a volcanic eruption such as Vesuvius or Mount Saint Helens. Write a magazine article about it, as if you were an eyewitness. Include the location of the volcano, when it erupted and other interesting facts about it.
- Draw a diagram of the Earth's major plates. Label the Earth's major plates. Research about and explain the concept of plate tectonics.
- Research and explain the different ways the Earth changes as a result of natural and man-made forces and illustrate each. Include weathering and erosion examples.
- Research and develop a time line to illustrate the earth's geological history. Write about some of the important times in geological history.
- Draw and research about a series of three diagrams to illustrate commonly used products which are made from rocks and minerals.
- Design a cut-away model of the layers of the earth. Research and write about each of the layers.
- Develop a VENN diagram to identify, compare, and contrast the three types of rocks: Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic. Create a graphic organizer to show the rock cycle.
- Design podcasts on rock issues, such as how rocks form, what is erosion, etc.
- Gather Information on the theory of Pangea. Write about what you find. Present your findings to the class as part of the website.
MCAS Review Material